RLSS Open Water Lifeguarding
The RLSS Open Water Lifeguarding (OWL) qualification was created especially for lifeguards working on non-tidal water such as lakes and rivers. Ballyhass have been training their own lifeguards to be OWL certified for many years, our lifeguards help us keep everyone safe in our open waters at the Mallow quarry and Coachford section of the river Lee.
- Three-day course including assessment.
- 16yrs +
- Must be a confident in open water.
- Courses take place on the last weekend of each month May to August.
- Water and classroom content each day.
- 6 to 7 hours per day excluding breaks.
- Qualifies you to lifeguard flat open water (not pool or sea).
- Let us know if you are a qualified pool or beach lifeguard, course time may be reduced.
The Royal Life Saving Society UK & Ireland are one of the leading societies for Lifesaving and Lifeguarding in Ireland and the UK. All of our Open Water Lifeguard Trainers are qualified to deliver OWL courses by this society.
- 16yrs + before the course starts
- Be confident in open water
- Be able to swim 400m continuously on your front in open water.
- Be able to swim 2m underwater.
- Complete minimum guided learning hours (RLSS sea & pool lifeguards may be able to compete the course in less time)
- Pass the course assessment on day three.
May 27th – 29th at Ballyhass Mallow
June 24th – 26th at Ballyhass Mallow
July 29th – 31st at Ballyhass Mallow
August 26th to 28th at Ballyhass Coachford
Please send an enquiry through our website, email or call us to receive a quote.
The standard price is €299
- Pack for water and classroom activities each day – wetsuit, swimming togs, towel, swimming hat, etc.
- We have a café onsite, but candidates are free to bring food if they would prefer.
- We provide toilets, showers (Mallow only) and changing rooms onsite.
- A note pad and biro.